[nmglug] disk space again

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Wed Apr 11 06:51:20 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 16:53 -0600, BrianO'Keefe quoted Nick Frost:
> > If it were me, I would boot from a CD, clone the drive with DD and
> > verify it before changing partition sizes, or back-up the data via
> > some other means and verify the backups.

Just wanted to place a vote for tar over dd in this type of situation.
You're only interested in moving your data not the bit-by-bit
filesystem.

I'm often apt to quote James Hamilton from:
http://www.nmlug.org/maillist/2004-February/msg00081.html

"Tar damn it tar! ;-)  There's unix in them there hills..."

later in that thread (or one of the many similar ones on that
list :sigh:) We're reminded that tar is a seperate entity from gzip and
can operate on stdin and stdout, so don't imagine that it's necessary to
have the time or disk space you'd need to make a zipped tarball and move
it onto the other filesystem. Ah I just found the link:
http://www.nmlug.org/maillist/2004-January/msg00105.html

"<do some fdisk>
<do some mke2fs>
mkdir /mnt/newdisk
mount /mnt/newdisk
tar cpvf - --exclude '/proc/*' --exclude '/mnt/newdisk/*' / | tar xpvf - -C
/mnt/newdisk"

Also Gary taught me that for 'p' preserve may not always properly handle
the funky permissions in OS partitions like var and tmp So I typically
use the unfortunately long "--numeric-owner --same-owner" options.

OK, got that off my chest.

P.S. rsync is good too :)