[nmglug] gnome settings daemon

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sun Apr 15 11:34:06 PDT 2007

I had posted that my gnome settings daemon was busted upon logging in to
Ubuntu. I get a "started too many times" message and then a bonobo error
that won't allow nautilus to start and then a bunch of question messages
about panel applets not working and delete or not delete them. I click
every window to close the messages and don't delete the applets and I am
logged into a plainer
Gnome session without many of my preferences and missing applets and no
nautilus. After logging in and out several times to no avail I log into
a KDE session and when I log out and back into a Gnome seesion I get the
same errors but this time my normal desktop appears and everything works.
I tried killing bonobo and log out and back in -no effect
I tried moving my /etc/optirc.myuseername directory-real bad effect and
had to log in terminal mode and change that back
It seems that the KDE thing does something that works because this is
the second time its worked.
Oh yeah, I get a message regarding gnome settings daemon:
IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COM_Failure:1.0
I looked this up and was confused by the answers that all seemed
specific to various software, some on UNIX some SPARC some LINUX but no
real similarities (its where I got the idea to move my /etc/ptirc directory)
Dapper on a TiBook
Thanks in advance
Brian