[nmglug] noise reduction

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Sun Apr 15 15:28:44 PDT 2007

Aaron wrote:

> Does anybody have any advice for reducing noise from this box?
> We moved it to a walk-in closet type room.  It is still
> very loud.  Are there some noise-reducing curtains or similar
> lower-cost measures we can take to damp the noise?

Hopefully the closet is cooled with a exhaust fan, or preferably AC,
unless the ambient temp is staying < 75F or so.  If the ambient
temperature in the rack area exceeds 110 or 115 Fahrenheit, there is a
strong possibility of hardware damage.  If the servers are Linux, you
could load I2C support/module and run sensors to get fan rpm and/or
temperature data, presuming the servers have a Winbond or some other
environment monitoring chipset, or you can get a Temptrax;

http://www.weathershop.com/temptrax.htm

plug it into a computer with a serial port, and write a script to send
you SMS if the temp in the rack room exceeds a designated value. Cheaper
audible alarms are available,

110 Alert
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=V110

but, they require a Molex power source and might/might not fit well in a
1U chassis.

Crate Foam on the back of the walk-in closet door ought to make some
difference in noise reduction.  There are many sources of acoustic foam;

http://www.auralex.com/

Whatever you do, you'll want to make sure you don't reduce ventilation,
I would not suggest putting insulation around the rack, better to punch
a hole in a wall and make a small, acoustically isolated, server room or
repurpose an existing space such that it's quieter (soundproofing).

-Nick
Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508