[nmglug] external drive wackiness

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Wed Feb 21 08:42:12 PST 2007

I'm sure that I will provide a chuckle for some here and I am glad to do
such a service. However, my external Fantom HD is being wacky!
I have 3 partitions on it and was using one last nite to transcode some
video. After the transcoding was complete but transcode didn't quit I
closed terminal anyway and suspended my laptop. This morning I wanted to
continue transcoding and mounted the drive, which shows up on the
desktop as the 3 partitions. The one I want to use is "For_Linux". I
opened a terminal and following are the results. "For_Linux" is empty
and there is a new partiton or directory named "For_Linux-1"! Nautilus
still shows the partition as "For_Linux" with all of its directories
intact and no such one as "For_Linux-1". I realized I had suspended with
terminal still running so I opened that session and there is "For_Linux"
still happily showing its directories with the ls command.
Where did this new directory "For_Linux-1" come from? How can these
directories both exist with the same contents yet only one show up in
Nautilus?
Hopefully the screenshot is legible.
Thanks,
Brian