[nmglug] mplayer

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Thu Jan 11 16:33:51 PST 2007

Hi,
I have 2 mplayers. The one that can play flash and wmv files is in
/usr/local/bin and the one that cannot is in /usr/bin. My question is
how do I ensure that /usr/local/bin/mplayer finds all the codecs that
are in /usr/lib/codecs?
My path is:
> $PATH
> bash:
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
I see that I have an mplayer config file but it is blank. I'd like to
play realmedia files and have downloaded and installed the codecs
"essential-ppc-20061022" which have what is needed but I still can't
play those rm files. Maybe it's not an issue of finding the codecs at
all but I just want to make sure.
Thanks,
Brian