[nmglug] LINUX as domain master?

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Fri Mar 30 09:24:59 PDT 2007

Samba is difficult to setup as a domain controller. How many users do
you have?

In terms of access to shares, their is no difference between workgroup
and domain. You can set any permissions for users and groups. This is
done with chmod and chown on the filesystem.

A system account is required before you can create a samba user. So, you
automatically have a sync. Although, you can't login via ssh untill a
password is set. Also, its a good precaution to change /etc/passwd's
/bin/sh to /bin/false if they are not going to use shell. I would save
yourself the headache of setting up two services to share and have all
users over samba. Gnulinux can mount smb shares very easily and you
don't have to worry about ip based authentication, which can be a real
nightmare.