[nmglug] web development on Linux?

Mindshare Studios info at mindsharestudios.com
Mon May 14 09:21:49 PDT 2007

Hi list,

I got Ubuntu Feisty Fawn setup on two laptops this weekend. I haven't really
installed any *nix variation in since RedHat 6 and I must say I am damn
impressed with what's changed. Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys had any
suggestions for setting up a web development environment on Ubuntu?

What I have set up currently:

-XAMPP

-Quanta Plus - this is a KDE app, will it present a problem for me since I'm
running Gnome?

-XaraLX, Inkscape, The GIMP (with GimpShop)

-Filezilla

-IEs4Linux, Opera, Firefox and the typical web dev extensions

Are there any great Linux web dev gems I should know about? Would Kubuntu be
a better choice? Also, what's the likelihood that I will someday be able to
run the Adobe Creative Suite apps under Linux - that's pretty much the only
thing that keeps me stuck on Micro$oft?

Cheers,

Damian Taggart, President

Mindshare Studios, Inc.