[nmglug] saving disk space

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Wed May 23 11:53:21 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 11:58 -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> I love trying all these things
> out and the fact that I have any of this working with a Mac and mol
> and
> Linux as well as Fink is a blast, even though I break stuff all the
> time! so I'm not sure what the courageous implies...

Sorry on review 'mr. courageous' looks snide it was meant as a
compliment. (with maybe a touch of euphamism for 'vast
amounts of ignorance and determination' ;)

> mol was installed via Ubuntu's Synaptic, which would make it a .deb
> package I think.

Yeah that's right, I'm missing all my guesses today. Maybe it's not a
very good deb, at least in the sense that it's not configuring
logrotate.

> The contents of /var/lib/dpkg/info/logrotate.conffiles:
> /etc/logrotate.conf
> /etc/cron.daily/logrotate

Wow what a cool directory of files. I can go home now I just learned my
cool thing of the day.

> and in /etc/logrotate.conf:

> # packages drop log rotation information into this directory
> include /etc/logrotate.d

So we need a mol file in that directory. Like acpid and the others
already there have:

sam at isaac:~$ cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/acpid.conffiles
/etc/default/acpid
/etc/init.d/acpid
/etc/logrotate.d/acpid
(that's way more fun than #dpkg -L acpid |grep etc)

Anyway I know this is a small subissue in your myriad. So I'll drop it
now. I bet you'll figure out to get it logrotating just fine, so you can
have 9 or 10 nice compressed files all filled with:
***** SIGNAL 13 [Broken pipe] in thread main-thread ***** :P