[nmglug] saving disk space

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Wed May 23 10:58:07 PDT 2007

I don't claim any level of courage but I try to make up for it by vast
amounts of ignorance and determination! I love trying all these things
out and the fact that I have any of this working with a Mac and mol and
Linux as well as Fink is a blast, even though I break stuff all the
time! so I'm not sure what the courageous implies...

mol was installed via Ubuntu's Synaptic, which would make it a .deb
package I think.
The contents of /var/lib/dpkg/info/logrotate.conffiles:
/etc/logrotate.conf
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate

and in /etc/logrotate.conf:
# see "man logrotate" for details
# rotate log files weekly
weekly

# keep 4 weeks worth of backlogs
rotate 4

# create new (empty) log files after rotating old ones
create

# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
#compress

# packages drop log rotation information into this directory
include /etc/logrotate.d

# no packages own wtmp, or btmp -- we'll rotate them here
/var/log/wtmp {
    missingok
    monthly
    create 0664 root utmp
    rotate 1
}

/var/log/btmp {
    missingok
    monthly
    create 0664 root utmp
    rotate 1
}

# system-specific logs may be configured here