[nmglug] A little off Linux but...

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Tue May 29 11:51:51 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 10:57 -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> One partition is unreadable, at all, in OS X and no utility will
> access
> it. All 3 are mounted in Linux and I can access 2 of them and read the
> data. The 3rd is visible and I can see the directories and in Nautilus
> or Gnome-Commander they even show up as the various extensions. When I
> try to open them they all return errors that the data is unreadable.
> The permissions seem screwy and I've included terminal output below. I
> don't know the UID 501 and the Group Dialout.

We are all scared of your filesystems now Brian, they seem to have
gremlins. But the 501,dialout ownership (and I think this was discussed
last spring or so.) is probably just random mapping of the OSX numeric
ownership into your ubuntu system.

If these are hfs+ partitions, I had a problem with an hfs partition
being hosed when trying to mount it rw with the hpmount tool from the
hfsplus package in Debian. I've suspected that possibly Apple makes
'improvements' to hfs+ and that hfsplus tools have to try and keep-up.
(This suspicion is largely due to googled reports of success using the
exact same mount procedure that hosed a file system for me :)
Fortunately for me I had no use for the hfs+ partition so I didn't cry
for very long.

So offhand I'd probably recommend moving everything to a friendlier file
system and not trying to write to the hfs+ file system, but of course
that's just one data point. Plus since you have space issues you may not
want to copy it all, and if 'System' and 'System Folder' are the OSX
install then it's probably not very useful anywhere but in OSX?

> Any idea if I can change the permissions to me and thereby access the
> data?

Potential wonkiness aside, it looks like it. Also you should be able to
access these files as root without changing their permissions.