[nmglug] Upgrade fromubuntu 6.06 to 8.04

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Aug 1 06:50:30 PDT 2008

I ran the Updatemanager to upgrade my Powerbook from 6.06 to 8.04. I had
problems before with a missing source but found the solution and after
adding it to my /etc/apt/sources list the upgrade seemed to run fine.
Once the new packages were being installed I kept getting messages about
dependency problems but that the upgrade would continue though some
software may not work.They seemed primarily Python packages and ones
dependent on Python packages.
The upgrade continued and finally I got a message that there were too
many dependency errors and that the upgrade would halt after running
"dpkg --configure-a" and that my system may be unusable! It's not, I'm
using it now. UpdateManager continued installing packages and then just
quit, no notices or anything. I logged out and in and noticed some stuff
works, most, and some doesn't. I thought that I'd run synaptic but that
gives the error to run dpkg.

I'll include the links to my posts to Ubuntu Forums,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5500996#post5500996
from here on out. I also posted a bug on Launchpad, actually a comment
to an existing bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/dpkg/+bug/236047/

this has been a problem for a few but I see no solutions anywhere. Any
ideas?

Many thanks,

Brian