[nmglug] Upgrade fromubuntu 6.06 to 8.04

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Fri Aug 1 10:23:22 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 07:50:30AM -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> this has been a problem for a few but I see no solutions anywhere.
> Any ideas?

Make sure you have only hardy sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and
maybe you can finish the upgrade by hand:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Sometimes:

sudo apt-get -f install

can cause a failed upgrade to semi-complete, and that should be
followed up with:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

until nothing is upgraded or installed.

You might then follow up by installing the hardy ubuntu-desktop
package (if you desire to have a GNOME desktop system):

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I have found with release upgrades that it is easier to achieve
success by going from one release to the next (don't skip releases),
but I heard that it should be possible to jump between LTS releases.
This is the first I heard of someone trying that.  Perhaps it would
have worked if you were using a more popular architecture due to
being more thoroughly tested or whatnot (i386 or amd64 versus
powerpc).

--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>