[nmglug] oops! evince

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sun Aug 10 11:13:02 PDT 2008

I finally got evince to open pdf's! It only took 20 or 30 hours too.
I uninstalled evince and poppler stuff with synaptic and reinstalled
many times to no avail. I read the lists and saw that there were issues
with poppler, evince and pdf's in the newest versions.
I downloaded source packages for each, in multiple versions, and built
them. Poppler built, evince did not in any version.
I installed epdf (doesn't have print abilities though!) with synaptic
which uninstalled poppler-data-missed that at first. I cleaned up all
the evince and poppler stuff again with:
make-distclean
in the appropriate directories.
I reinstalled poppler-0.8.5 with make and then the latest evince with
synaptic. Now evince works.
I had also previously moved my mime.cache file in ~/.local/share/mime
but it hadn't made a difference. After restarting and now with evince
working the file did not regenerate-interesting.