[nmglug] sound

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Aug 8 13:22:04 PDT 2008

Sam worked like a madman last night to help me get sound back, to no avail.
This morning I followed the instructions here to get pulse audio working
(in theory):
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

I now have system sounds, beeps and such, and Mplayer has sound but no
other player does, like vlc, xine or xfmedia. this must be a plugin
issue but I don't know which it could be. In xfmedia I get an error:
audio device unavailable, in xine I get a similar error. In VLC I get
this with a flv file:
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to create stream.
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to create stream.
[00000352] alsa audio output error: unable to commit hardware
configuration (Input/output error)
vlc: pcm_pulse.c:115: pulse_stop: Assertion `pcm->stream' failed.
Aborted

It seems pulse and alsa are not happy.

Any help will be generously compensated at the next meeting!

Brian