[nmglug] Need a scanner that works on Ubuntu

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Tue Feb 5 15:58:02 PST 2008

J. Marsden DeLapp wrote:

>> If you're not in a rush, I can test it with Linux/Sane this weekend and
>> report back to the NMGLUG list this weekend.
>>

> Nick,
>
> So how does it work?

Hi Mars;

Well, I haven't finished testing it. Had a bit of a Linux problem
(Detailed below) that I haven't worked through yet.

What I can tell you thus far is that the HP C5180 has a web browser
built-in and a front-panel LCD as well.  So configuring the thing with
an IP address, putting it on a network, and hitting the internal web
server is dead easy.  So, on that score it works very well.

The scan quality seems to leave something to be desired, but I have not
had time to fool with settings much, so I can't really tell if that's
the scanner, or a case of me not configuring it properly as yet.  What I
hope to do when I have more time is scan the same print with two
different scanners (one of them the HP C5180) and then  post the results
on a  web page so people can visually compare the scan quality.

The C5180 web interface contains a "scan" function. So, one can scan and
download a picture via the web browser, without having to resort to
Sane/Xsane.  But, that only gives you the 180 KB resolution or so that
the scanner webapp does by default.  But, for quick scans without having
to deal with any software, it works quite well.  Very simple.

I have installed the HP software on a Macintosh and scanning there works
pretty well, and one can change the resolution.  I also tested the OCR
application and it scanned a page of text, with output into "Textedit"
and that generated what appears to be perfect copy (OCR).

I haven't tested it under MS Windows.

The device works well as a single-page copier, I copied a one page set
of directions with a hand-drawn map.  It was as simple as laying the
original on the glass and punching the Black/White copy button.

The Linux install that I have is too old, and so I was unable to get
Sane/Xsane to work. LibUSB appears to "See" the scanner, but I had to
upgrade UDEV and basically that mangled the Linux install, which I
hopefully will fix in the coming days, at which point I will try to get
the HP C5180 working with Sane/Xsane and GIMP under Linux, at which time
I can report back.  I can also post some of the scans on my website and
post the URL's of the samples here if there is interest in that.

I hope that answers some of the questions anyway.

-Nick
Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508