[nmglug] IBM Compatible laptop hardware

Gary Sandine gars at laclinux.com
Mon Feb 11 08:46:37 PST 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:39:32AM -0700, Nick Frost wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone here has recommendations on business laptops
> they've had success with in a work environment,
> for use with MS Windows and/or Linux.

We greatly prefer ThinkPads, then certain HP laptops where I work
(in my area anyway; Dell is probably the most popular in the whole
workplace, but I think they are not as nice aesthetically, the
materials are cheaper, and the failure rates are higher).  The
latest T series and X series ThinkPads work pretty well with a
modern GNU/Linux distribution (even with some that are 1 or 2
releases back with a new enough kernel).  If you get an onboard
Intel X3100 video card, you will get excellent video performance
with the free "intel" video driver.

Regards,
--
Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>