[nmglug] IBM Compatible laptop hardware

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Mon Feb 11 10:21:34 PST 2008

Gary Sandine wrote:

> We greatly prefer ThinkPads, then certain HP laptops where I work
> (in my area anyway; Dell is probably the most popular in the whole
> workplace, but I think they are not as nice aesthetically, the
> materials are cheaper, and the failure rates are higher).  The
> latest T series and X series ThinkPads work pretty well with a
> modern GNU/Linux distribution (even with some that are 1 or 2
> releases back with a new enough kernel).  If you get an onboard
> Intel X3100 video card, you will get excellent video performance
> with the free "intel" video driver.

Gary;

Bless you..thanks, that's helpful information.  I have a (now old) IBM
Thinkpad A31 (1.6 Ghz) at home; it's a tank.  I've heard recently of
some issues with Lenovo Thinkpads, but it's mainly wireless complaints
(thanks Nate).   So, I'm thinking hardware-wise, the Thinkpads are still
the best...at least it sounds that way.

Much appreciated,

-Nick

--