[nmglug] Dell XPS M1210

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Fri Feb 22 09:52:05 PST 2008

Beau J. Bechdol wrote:

> Yes, I get that message before X starts. I was talking about console resolution(before X starts). That makes me sad if it wont work :(

So, Gary seems to know Ubuntu better than I (thanks Gary).  So, if
Ubuntu supports some of those console resolution modes, then it *should*
be simply a matter of editing your grub.conf and adding the following to
the end of the kernel argument line;

video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr vga=0x31A

for 1280x1024

and rebooting.

-Nick

>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 08:23:12AM -0700, Nick Frost wrote:
>>> On Feb 22, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Beau J. Bechdol wrote:
>> [..]
>>> Though for the resolution you want, 1280x800, you'll want
>>> something  other than 0x31A.  Unless I'm seriously confused (Gary,
>>> am I  confused?), you cannot do 1280x800 as a console font.  Your
>>> options are;
>>>
>>> 0x31A	(16 bits, 1280x1024)
>>>
>>> or;
>>>
>>> 0x163 	(16 bits 1152x800)
>> I think you're right -- 1280x800 is not an option for the console.
>>
>>> or another resolution that is supported for framebuffer console fonts,
>>> of which a partial list may be found here;
>>>
>>> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Framebuffer:Bootsplash:Grubsplash
>> A stock Ubuntu kernel does some of those modes out of the box.  I
>> don't know how many, but I frequently use the 16 bit modes 0x314 and
>> 0x317 in Ubuntu computers.
>>
>> I wasn't sure if Beau was talking about the console resolution
>> (before X starts) or the resolution at the gdm or kdm or whatnot
>> login screen (after X starts)...  I can't tell if he saw the error
>> message he mentioned ('"Video mode not defined" or something to that
>> affect') after passing a bad "vga=<something>" option to the kernel
>> at boot time or by looking in the Xorg.0.log file after X started.
>>
>> --
>> Gary Sandine <gars at laclinux.com>

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325