[nmglug] External DVD writer

Tom Rushton trushton at cybermesa.com
Fri Feb 22 10:57:16 PST 2008

I'm looking for an external DVD writer to use with an Ubuntu system.
I've only found one reference (not an extensive search yet) to a
compatible unit, the Sony DRX-830U, with pointers on configuration for
EHCI and DMA on a Debian system, which I assume would work.  Checking
further, I've determined that the Sony DRX-840U is a more capable unit,
but no word on Linux compatibility.  As far as software goes, I've
discovered Brasero CD/DVD Writer, which seems to work well, at least for
CD writing, so I anticipate that it will work well with whatever drive I
end up with.  Does anyone have experience with this that can help point
me in the right direction?
~Tom Rushton