[nmglug] Upgrading a server version of Ubuntu.

Eric Krieger eric.krieger at charterco.com
Tue Feb 26 09:57:15 PST 2008

Tim,
	The official way for servers (non-gui) is...

1. sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
2. sudo do-release-upgrade

and follow the instructions.  Hope this helps.

Eric

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 10:42 -0700, Tim Emerick wrote:
> I'm running about 13 machines in my garage.  They are running
> Ubuntu-Gutsy server version and BOINC.  One of the machines is
> mirroring the ubuntu site so that apt-get dist-upgrade is a pretty
> painless and fast process across the machines.
>
> Ubuntu wiki states that to upgrade to a newer version (hardy for
> instance) you would run "update-manager -d".  I thought I would try it
> but it turns out update-manager is an X app and I'm not interested in
> installing X on any of these machines.
>
> A command line alternative short of updating all of
> the /etc/apt/sources.list files on each machine?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim
>
> btw, I know that there is a command line to replace all occurances of
> "gutsy" with "hardy" in /etc/apt/sources.list but it escapes me.
> Anybody???
>
> --
> This message has been scanned for Spam, Viruses and
> dangerous content by Charter Bank's Spam Control, and is
> believed to be clean.

- Eric

Eric Krieger
Network Analyst
Charter Companies
Email: eric.krieger at charterco.com
Ph: 505.291.3717
Fx: 505.237.4105

Random Quote:

"We want to make you
feel at home!"
        -L. Borgia

This e-mail message (and any associated files) contains information from Charter Companies, Inc., or its subsidiaries or affiliate.  It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.  The receipt of this transmission is not intended to, and does not waive, any privilege.