[nmglug] mail, etc

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Mon Jan 14 16:05:28 PST 2008

okeefe at cybermesa.com wrote:

> I will check when I boot Dapper next. I have changed nothing (that I'm aware
> of but that leaves quite a bit of latitude!) and had no previous problems.What
> sorts of things should I be checking to find out?

Well, you said "In OS X I can access the cybermesa webmail but cannot in
Dapper" so what I'm  wondering if it's an SSL problem with your browser
being unable to access pages that likely use SSL (as I'm guessing the
Cybermesa web email interface does?).

The other thing to check, if you are using Thunderbird under Dapper, is
your setup for TLS for outgoing email.  If your ISP is allowing SMTP on
the submission port of 587, you probably want TLS enabled (see attached
image) in your outgoing settings.

As per 2nd attached image, you probably want SSL enabled when checking
mail but "use secure authentication" unchecked as that usually adds a
layer of MD5 encryption within the SSL wrapper. But, as always, check
the settings prescribed by your ISP.  You could compare your settings in
your OS X installation to ensure they are identical.

The other option is to call Cybermesa and see if someone there is
willing to tail the POP or IMAP server log when you are checking mail to
try and see at which step the problem is occurring (authentication or
encryption problem).

Hope that helps,

-Nick
--