[nmglug] RAID, SCSI vs ATA

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Mon Jan 21 08:44:59 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 9:24 AM, Aaron wrote:

> Andres Paglayan wrote:
>> I am kind of tackling the same things at home,
>> new hi-res camera, and lots of stuff to store,
>> and so far I am considering getting whatever mobo supporting several
>> (5 to 8) sata disks,
>> and starting with 3 or 6 500GB raided drives,
>> roughly $450 for 1TB or $750 for 2,5 TB

western digital at sams has a 1tb box for $300
although this should be ok only for home,
or for "remote" (as in I take the HD home) backup,

> I have been looking at similar systems for work.
> To save $$, I think it is cheapest to just build
> a box.  Mid or full tower,  mobo with many, many SATA ports.
>
> The biggest storage/$ these days seems to be 500GB SATA drives.
> It is getting rare to have large numbers of IDE (PATA) ports these
> days.
>
> I have had trouble finding cheap cards with many SATA ports.
> If anybody knows where to find them, let me know.

nope, as you said, it's cheaper to get a mobo with an insane quantity
of sata ports

> When I do see multiple SATA cards, they have RAID in them and
> are more $$ than I was planning on spending for the most of the
> system!
>
> I have seen some higher-end Mobo's for around $200 that have 6-8
> SATA ports.

there are some with up to 12,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131146R

asus @ $214

> Then run LINUX SW RAID.  I'm leary of learning *bsd software raid,
> since
> even the LINUX SW RAID took some time to learn.  My boss will not
> be happy about me billing for that learning curve again.
>
> My take on SW raid is that you need to be a little careful.
> SW RAID5 is a bit risky, IMOHO.
> RAID5 will detect and recover from a disk FAILURE, but will be totally
> unaware of a DISK CORRUPTION event.   RAID6 can catch these.
> So, if you care about reliability, I'd stick to RAID-1 or RAID-6.

not suer, but may be you can turn smart on and run some cron to query
that will be emailed to you
may be there's already some tool for that,