[nmglug] RAID, SCSI vs ATA

Jim Coberly gemsee at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 08:54:34 PST 2008

Tim and all,

Just a couple of general information comments based on experience, probably
already in your thoughts.

1.  RAID tends to work well, but think about this.  If one builds a RAID
array with all hardware of similar vintage and kind, then there is a
likelihood of one or more disk drives failing at nearly the same time.  In
other words, they are all setup, configured and begin use at the same time
so if one disk fails, what is the assurance of the others continuing in
service?  So, it is my recommendation you consider backup of the data to
whatever media you can reasonably afford.

2.  SAN or NAS also fail.

So, a regular backup (and validated restore) process is critical to keeping
valuable data/information.

Jim C