[nmglug] mail

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Wed Jan 23 14:40:19 PST 2008

BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> Still in Mexico and having Ubuntu internet issues.
> I logged out and back in and I think that helps but I started getting
> notices, when setting my server settings in TBird to send secure mail,
> as pop-ups.
> the first says,
> ""localhost.localdomain" is a site that uses a security certificate to
> encrypt data during transmission but its certificate expired on
> 02/09/2005 9:52 PM. check that the time and date on your computer is set
> correctly (today's time and date shown)
>
> I click OK and then:
> "You have attempted to establish a connection with "pop.cybermesa.com"
> However the security certificate presented belongs to
> "localhost.localdomain" It is possible though unlikely, that someone may
> be trying to intercept your communications with this site. If you
> suspect the certificate does not belong to cybermesa.com please cancel
> the connection"

If Cybermesa recently did a mail upgrade, it's likely that they are
using a self-signed SSL certificate for their POP/IMAP and/or SMTP
server.  Until you tell Thunderbird to "Accept permanently" for that
certificate you'll get that message.  If you want, you could call and
verify the certificate fingerprint with Cybermesa, but I wouldn't really
suggest that unless you are truly concerned about it.

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508
www.nickorama.com