[nmglug] Clusters, Netbooting, BOINC, yadda-yadda-yadda

J. Marsden DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Tue Jan 29 21:21:55 PST 2008

Tim Emerick wrote:
> Hey Mars,
>
> I got one of those Kill-A-Watt devices and plugged in my Wall-O-PC's into it.
>
> I don't know how to read the info so I thought I would pass it on to you and you could tell me how much this thing is costing me on my electric bill.
>
> I have 15 PCs running BOINC full-throttle, 1 24 port switch, 1 17" LCD monitor all hooked up to a 20 amp circuit.
>
> Kill-A-Watt reads 12.61amps, 1150 Watts, .08 KWH.
>
> What does it all mean???

1150 Watts x 24hr/day = 27.6 kWh/day
x 30 days = 828 kWh / Month
x 365 days = 10,074 kWh / year

x $.079/kWh = $2.18/day
x 30 days = $65 / Month
x 12 Months = $796 / Year

Assuming you are getting your power from PNM, the source mix is 70% coal and 30% nuclear.
70% x 10,074 kWh / year x 2.095 Lbs CO2 / kWh [1] = 14,774 Lbs of CO2 per year
/ 2000 Lbs/ton = 7.38 tons of CO2

To put these numbers in perspective, the average PNM residential customer uses about 500 kWh per month.
The average US household carbon foot print is 14 to 16 tons of CO2 per year.

Mars