[nmglug] Showing off my new Linux Phone

andres andres at paglayan.com
Fri Jul 4 13:56:45 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 13:42 -0600, Mindshare Studios wrote:
> So is it based on Android?

not exactly, seems there's no phone that runs android yet,
it seems that freerunner will be capable of it very soon

It's a white box, that runs openmoko which is a full linux distro aimed
at running on a mobile phone
(its on stable now),

here is the soft stack
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Image:OpenmokoFramework08.png

in the new specs it shows android as well, but mostly as an full stack
option,

it's a true linux box with kernel 2.6.*
if the app fits, then runs,
i.e.
ekiga soft voip phone so you can use it when on wifi
pidgin
ogg player
twitux,
etc, etc,

If anybody can find a better linux gadget let me know,