[nmglug] SSH problem

Todd Richardson trichardson at cvecoop.org
Fri Mar 21 09:56:10 PDT 2008

I'm 0 for 10 on my network troubleshooting this week, but here goes:

Depending on how you set your network up, you may have an incorrect
route between the two machines.

A bit more background may help resolve the problem.  Is this a
completely new subnet, or is it just a new host on an established subnet
in your network?

This is what happened to me earlier this week on a virtual machine
behind a virtual router connected to my main network. Basically, I had
setup the incorrect gateway on the virtual router, so that My actual
router was sending the packets (good enough for ping) but the virtual
router was basically black-holing the packets from the remote machine.

I wish I knew more about open-ssh to answer your second question.  I
would think that you would at least get a connection refused if it is
configured to allow local subnet, but I simply don't know for sure.

-Todd Richardson