[nmglug] Novice

Todd Richardson trichardson at cvecoop.org
Tue Mar 25 10:05:16 PDT 2008

Linux/FOSS is for everyone.  Thats the principal that drives many
distributions of linux.

Depending on how comfortable you are with the windows feeling, is the
direction you want to take.  A great distribution is Ubuntu linux.  Its
based on a stable set of packages and has a good community with lots of
users who are/once were like yourself.

You can get the Disk images (to burn to CD) at:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Remember, installing linux is a bit of a commitment.  If you install on
your hard drive, you are going to be presented with some options.  If
you have enough room and want to use up your remaining space to install
side by side with your existing windows, you will have that option.
Second is to wipe all reinstall.  A third option would require that you
setup a program like VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) and run
linux virtually.  I don't recommend this for a novice however.

This is the parachute speech (you know, the one the dive instructor
gives you before he shoves you out the door?)  Its a good journey, and
there are many trials before you, but the rewards are equally as
numerous.  Feel free to drop a line with any questions to me personally,
or in NG.

-Todd Richardson