[nmglug] mobile phone offering network to laptop?

Bill York iago at pobox.com
Fri May 9 11:40:01 PDT 2008

my first inclination on this is to start looking at bluetooth.

I am able to use my Treo (windows mobile) to connect my laptop to the net. i
don't know if you can create a totally mobile network through a single
device without significant programming. you're probably going to need to
pair a laptop with your bluetooth device and then use the laptop as your
dhcp server/router. I'm sure you could do this over wifi to reduce equipment
needs.

what a wonderful world a bluetooth-enabled linksys wireless router would be
(and battery-operated while i'm dreaming).

verizon looks pretty good for LA, but there are some holes on the coast.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController

hth,
bill

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Mark Galassi <mark at galassi.org> wrote:

> Amigos, this is something I've never done, but I will need to do for
> some experiments we have.
>
> I need to have a gadget (maybe a mobile phone?) which offers an ethernet
> port, preferably with a dhcp server and local subnet, but it's OK if
> it's a single address.
>
> In other words, the same kind of router that you typically get with a
> DSL modem at home, but small and mobile.
>
> It should allow incoming ssh, possibly via a "port forwarding" setup on
> the router's 192.168.0.1 address.
>
> I have heard of people with mobile phones that can surf the web, but
> they usually are self-contained and don't have twisted pair ports.
>
> I have heard of pcmcia cards for laptops that are cellular modems.  This
> might be the kind of thing, because then the laptop might be configured
> to offer the ethernet to other machines, but it would be bulky.  (I also
> wonder if nowadays the pcmcia cards are becoming USB cards; this would
> help since the equipment we are sending out has rack-mounted computers,
> not laptops, hence no pcmcia.)
>
> Are there other gadgets that I have not heard about?  Maybe this biggish
> cell-phone with an ethernet port really exists?
>
> And I'll buy a beer if your answer includes information on whether these
> mobile phone providers have good coverage of very rural "south coast of
> Louisiana" and mississippi delta swamplands.

"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a
loaded gun and those who dig."
- Blondie, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly