[nmglug] mobile phone offering network to laptop?

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Fri May 9 13:43:30 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 12:10 -0600, Mark Galassi wrote:
> In other words, the same kind of router that you typically get with a
> DSL modem at home, but small and mobile.

www.evdoforums.com
Is full of discussion of cell-phone network SOHO routers, looks like the
linksys one will even run OpenWRT. (Though it looks like the Linksys
routers are not so well loved by the folks at that forum.)

Also I just saw an ad there for one by CradlePoint with a lithium ion
battery:
http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=673

That might fit your bill.

Though all of these seem to require you get a EVDO or similar
pccard/pccardexpress/usb adapter from the cell phone company.