[nmglug] digital camera

Michael R. Bernstein michael at fandomhome.com
Mon May 12 19:24:54 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 23:15 -0600, Jason Schaefer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am looking for a digital camera for a friend who uses gnu/linux. I
> know most people use a card reader to transfer photos. I am curious if
> anyone has done the research for a modern camera that is supported
> directly and is under $200. Any recommendations?

My heuristic for checking if a camera was well supported is whether it
is in libgphoto2:
http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

We bought a Kodak EasyShare c613 with a 2GB SD Card about two months ago
for a total of $100 including shipping (the SD Card is a must, as the
built in memory is a paltry 16 MB, but a 1GB one would work very well
too).

The EasyShare seemed to be the cheapest camera that was both decent and
supported.

The EasyShare comes with the appropriate USB cable, and gtkam opens it
right up, so you don't ever have to pop the card into a reader.

- Michael R. Bernstein