[nmglug] suggestions on computers?

Irish irish.masms at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 08:35:33 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Mindshare Studios
<info at mindsharestudios.com> wrote:
> I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for buying computer
> components... I'm thinking about building a new machine and I have typically
> ordered from Tiger Direct but I thought ping the list and see if there are
> other recommendations. Also, if anyone want to weigh in on AMD v. Intel that
> would be cool - I've never had an AMD set up so I have no personal
> comparison.
>
> thx
> --
> Damian Taggart

Hey Damian!

Being the FNG around here, one of my first questions to my fellow
geeks at work was "where do you get your computer & tech stuff?" They
all said Newegg, which I have been using for years. Great service,
good reviews & feedback on items from customers, good pricing, and
some superb delivery for the previous places I have lived. Usually,
Newegg is the first place I go to when there is a need to spend green.
Well, Newegg & Apple. ;)

Now, I will not use Tiger direct. Not at all. When working a previous
job, I sent out an RFP for pricing some equipment, and Tiger Direct
sent me spam before I ever received a reply or a quote for the RFP.
Something just does not sit well with me on that...

Now, in the latest Santa Fe Reporter & their latest 'Best of the city'
edition they have a Santa Fe Computer Works (1209 Parkway Drive #A)
listed as the best in the city for the last 2 years. I have not check
ed it out, and no idea if they are GNU/Linux/Open Source friendly; but
I intend to find out. :)

There is also Los Alamos Computers (http://laclinux.com/) up on the
mountain here. Also, I have not dealt with them other than finding out
via email the information on NMGLUG - but at least they are
GNU/Linux/Open Source friendly.

HTH!

Irish