[nmglug] running legacy OS

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Tue Apr 21 18:01:32 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Andres Paglayan <andres at paglayan.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> because of a silly reason I will need to run an instance of a legacy OS
> (Windows) under my Ubuntu laptop every now and then for few days. More
> precisely Windows XP,
>
> Today there's more virtual hosts options than before,
>
> I wonder if there's any more/less recommended virtualization tool for
> Ubuntu,
>
> Any good or bad experiences?
>
> Thank you,

Andres

KVM rocks! VirtualBox and VMware have benefits in some cases but they
have lots of out of distro dependancies, aren't completely free (as in
freedom) and after kernel upgrades require re-install. Not fun! KVM is
built in and isn't going anywhere. I use virt-manager to graphically
manage and setup vm's. Its a virtual dream come true!

Jason