[nmglug] Fwd: running legacy OS

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Wed Apr 22 09:34:02 PDT 2009

Begin forwarded message:

> Do you know if vmware workstation offers anything over vmware
> server?  I used to use workstation but at some point noticed that
> server, which has a non-free license but is free to use, was a lot
> like workstation and did everything I needed.  I have been using
> libvirt/kvm/qemu for everything for the last year or so.

One can both snapshot and clone virtual machines in VMWare
workstation, and my recollection is that one can do screenshot
videos...meaning you can start video recording in a virtual machine
(guest) and perform actions on the screen and stop the video when you
want...then have for playback (a nice feature for teaching/
presentation tools).  I just checked now and under the "VM" menu,
there is a replay and "record" option, and also a Capture Screen and
Capture Movie options (VMWare Workstation version 6.05 running on
Ubuntu 8.04).  I have found occasional use for these features, but
many people may not need them.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325