[nmglug] Networking Linux with Apples

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Mon Apr 27 05:40:52 PDT 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 6:28 AM, Lee Einer wrote:

> I work for a small newspaper and have recently been given the hat of
> IT
> manager.
>
> My employer's computer scheme is highly Apple-centric, and the server
> appears to be running AppleTalk.
>
> I have set up a couple of Linux boxes for employees, and all is
> working
> well except that I have no clue as to how to get the Mepis Linux boxes
> to detect and access the files on the server. I have installed
> Netatalk
> on one of them, I have tried deactivating the Guarddog firewall,
> without
> success.
>
> I have also attempted to RTFM but there does not seem to be a FM out
> there.

Depends on how old the Apple file server is and the OS version?
However, assuming it's running OS X it should be trivial to turn on
SMB/CIFS on the Apple server and export the shares that way, in
addition to AFP.
Then it's just a matter of installing/running Samba on the Mepis boxen
and accessing the shares that way.

Also, most Macintoshes running OS X "speak" NFS reasonably well...OS X
Leopard server *should* do NFS with relative ease..so you could also
turn on NFS on the server (if it's not on already), then install/run
portmap on the Linux boxes and mount the shares from the Apple server
with NFS.

http://mactechnotes.blogspot.com/2005/09/mac-os-x-as-nfs-server.html

There are some people locally who could help you if you needed to
contract someone to help you with the setup (email me directly if
interested).

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325