[nmglug] running legacy OS

akaluta akaluta at taosnet.com
Tue Apr 28 06:41:54 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 12:00 -0600, Brendan wrote:
> akaluta wrote:
> > Does the below displayed info  mean my cpu does not support virtual
> > manager on KVM.?
> >
> > processor	: 0
> > vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
> > cpu family	: 15
> > model		: 0
> > model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1500MHz
>
> Yikes, definitely no virtualization support there.  A P4 at 1.5GHz will
> be outperformed by a P3 at 1GHz.  Intel VT support showed up for some of
> the Pentium D chips and the Core 2 line.  AMD's timeframe is similar.
> You can still use Qemu, but it's going to be slow.  No idea how VMWare
> compares here.
>
> -Brendan

Stumbled upon the following interesting site,likely familiar to many,
perhaps useful.

Anthony

"...You probably already know whether you have one of the first two, but
the second one can be confusing - particularly because many computers
ship with hardware virtualisation disabled in the BIOS. Fortunately,
Wikipedia has a cheat sheet - the following chips all support hardware
virtualisation:

Intel:

      * Pentium 4 662 and 672, Extreme Edition 955 and 965 (but not
        Pentium 4 Extreme Edition with HT).
      * Pentium D 920 to 960 except 945, 925 and 915.
      * Core Duo T2300, T2400, T2500, T2600, T2700, L2000 and U2000.
      * Core 2 Solo.
      * Core 2 Duo except E6540, E8190, E7xxx, E4xxx, T5200-T5550 and
        T5750.
      * Core 2 Quad except Q8200.
      * Core 2 Extreme Duo and Quad.
      * Xeon 3000 series.
      * Xeon 5000 series.
      * Xeon 7000 series.

AMD:

      * Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 X2 with family "F" or "G" for socket AM2
        (note: not socket 939).
      * Turion 64 X2.
      * Opteron 2nd and 3rd generation
      * Phenom

Yes, that's a bit tricksy; it's a shame that support can't be universal.
If you have an Intel Celeron, Pentium Dual-Core or Pentium M processor,
or an AMD Sempron processor, you're out of luck: none of those support
hardware virtualisation..."