[nmglug] Production server question

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Fri Mar 27 10:56:56 PDT 2009

Hi fellows,

I have a little question,
what are your guidelines these days for a new Linux production server?

...I know all the variables, well, depends the load, users, apps, etc
etc,
some apps are fine on $50 used pentium IVs
but for a new, commercial kind of install
this specific case is a server for 100 users on a rather heavy Rails web
app,
I am more concerned about the approach and the value,
i.e., there are 1u rack mountable servers from $500 to $10,000

On several years of IT I had only couple of HD failed,
one cheap mobo capacitors blown,
couple of mem simms DOA
and four or five power supplies gone puff,

So from my limited experience, I'd say,
0./ some raid redundancy
1./ a good power supply,
2./ no cheap mobo,