[nmglug] Production server question

Brendan synk at swcp.com
Fri Mar 27 11:21:23 PDT 2009

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> So from my limited experience, I'd say,
> 0./ some raid redundancy
> 1./ a good power supply,
> 2./ no cheap mobo,
>
> what your input would be on this list?

My number one failed component is hard drives.  Use RAID for everything,
boot, slash, swap.  Everything.  And at least one hot spare for RAID5.
Memory either works or it doesn't.  Motherboards either perform
acceptably or they don't.  A robust power supply is great, but it's
probably just as important that your power source is clean, your server
isn't vibrating or running hot.   If your machine absolutely must not go
down, get a redundant power supply with redundant power conditioning
UPSes on redundant circuits.  And at that point it may make more sense
to throw a number of commodity parts at the problem and put storage in
one place, execution environment in many others.

-Brendan