[nmglug] Production server question

Brendan synk at swcp.com
Tue Mar 31 19:02:46 PDT 2009

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> doesn't look like a trivial issue,
> probably the db won't grow bigger than a GB in couple of years,
> although the usage of the writes is relatively 1/10 compared with the
> writes,

Was that writes are 1/10th of reads or reads are 1/10th of writes?

> every actions gets logged, what makes the writes heavy as well,
> I just got what seems to be a good mysql book with lots of performance
> tuning info,
> oh boy, I love learning,

The db's not even 1GB?  Well, that's a lot different.  Stuff the sucker
full of RAM, create indexes on your popular keys, use RAID1 and you'll
be hauling ass.  If you have more RAM than the size of your DB
(including indexes) you're hardly ever going to have a drive read
because all that data will be cached.  If you're getting backlogged on
writes you can add a separate RAID1 device for the log data.  If you
still have more IO than disk bandwidth move up to RAID 10.  That's
unlikely though since your average drive these days can move in excess
of 100MB/s.

-Brendan (Putting away the multi-terabyte-db advice)