[nmglug] Production server question

Brendan synk at swcp.com
Fri Mar 27 15:46:40 PDT 2009

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> for this case I am not sure about the usefulness of the Vms,
> but please correct me,
> the environment is restricted to a single install of the app,
> and to a single physical location,
> there are some other services running on the box for wich VMs are not ideal,
> (phone on asterisk, and fax on hylafax)

Er, you're running a fax gateway, asterisk server, mysql db and a rails
web app/web server for 100 users all on the same server?  That's some
seriously bad mojo for a production environment.  Split that up into 3
different machines, quick!  Give the DB a dedicate system, put the
telephony on its own system, and finally the web server on a third.
Conceptually you could virtualize the web server and db server, but it's
probably not worth it until you need hardware redundancy.

-Brendan