[nmglug] Production server question

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Tue Mar 31 17:11:19 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 11:18 -0600, Brendan wrote:

> Andres Paglayan wrote:
> > what a good layout for the db and we would be?
>
> You mean like a stripe layout for the underlying fs/raid?  If you're
> getting a lot of concurrent accesses from different users you want to
> have large enough stripes that (hopefully) any given access will only
> trigger a seek on a single disk.  Since seeks are expensive, you want to
> keep simultaneous access to the same spindle to a minimum.  It all
> depends on the access pattern.  If you're heavy on read operations and
> light on writes, RAID5 or 6 will give you good performance and large
> volume size.  If writes are more prominent, you may need to use
> non-parity RAID like RAID10 to keep the data moving.  If you're really
> lucky, your entire db will fit in memory via disk cache and there will
> only be the occasional write.

doesn't look like a trivial issue,
probably the db won't grow bigger than a GB in couple of years,
although the usage of the writes is relatively 1/10 compared with the
writes,
every actions gets logged, what makes the writes heavy as well,
I just got what seems to be a good mysql book with lots of performance
tuning info,
oh boy, I love learning,