[nmglug] production server question follow-up

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Fri Oct 9 08:32:06 PDT 2009

Hi,

Couple of weeks ago I posted a question about the way to go with a
partition scheme on a production server.

I was considering 4 disks,
and the suggestions were raid-6 or raid 10,

now I just ordered the hardware, since the chassis supports 8 disks, and
the mobo 6,
so I purchased 8 disks just to have two identical spares sitting there
unplugged.

This means that I'll have 6 disks running on the machine,
the server does constant little writes, and probably 50 times more
little reads.
mostly from the DB

Since I don't see myself changing or adding disks during the life of the
server,
I will not do LVM on top.

I am considering the following options,

three mirrored groups of two, and then stripping, raid 10 (3/6
available, 2 or 3 can fail)
raid 6 (4/6 available, 2 can fail)

My sensation for what I read is that 10 will be way faster,
and seems to be more in compliance with what DB vendors suggest,

Any better idea or suggestion?

Thank you all,

Andres