[nmglug] production server question follow-up

J. Marsden DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Fri Oct 9 12:08:26 PDT 2009

Andres Paglayan wrote:
> now I just ordered the hardware, since the chassis supports 8 disks, and
> the mobo 6,
> so I purchased 8 disks just to have two identical spares sitting there
> unplugged.

You should plug in the spares somewhere and run them for at least 24 hours to make sure they have a good burn-in and
identify any that would fail from infant mortality.

> Since I don't see myself changing or adding disks during the life of the
> server,
> I will not do LVM on top.

I would use LVM. I have learned that plans change and always using LVM makes life easier when the unexpected change happens.

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering®
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Rd Ste 3a
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com