[nmglug] More on Upgrading

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Tue Oct 13 20:27:23 PDT 2009

Well it's taken a while and I finally got back to beating this into
submission. The --force options didn't work, couldn't reinstall package
(which didn't even function at all) couldn't upgrade nor remove through
synaptic.
I finally downloaded a .bin file of an old helix-player from 2005 and
installed that. That actually didn't do anything to help except that I
saw the files dpkg was looking for had been installed by the .bin
installer into a different directory, e.g. usr/local/HelixPlayer as
opposed to /usr/lib/helix/player. I made symlinks to the newly installed
old files that dpkg complained ablut and tried a --force remove. I only
got one error so one of the links worked.
I wondered if dpkg could actually tell what was in the files or if it
just wanted to remove them regardless of the content so made dummy files
and placed them where dpkg was bitching about them not existing and
spewing the errors.
It worked! dpkg was fooled, it happily removed the dummy files and went
on to remove helix-player.
I just finished updating and tomorrow I'll do a dist-upgrade...
Persistence is the mother of ....?