[nmglug] hosed my Jaunty!!

Brian okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Oct 16 16:38:47 PDT 2009

Was working away on my Toshiba laptop when compiz crashed and screen res
dropped. I tried to reset screen res with preferences>desktop but there
were no options and my monitor wasn't recognized. I thought to log out
and in but the screen has never come back. I rebooted into failsafe mode
and on command line tried startx. A black screen with a bit of color at
the top. I tried reconfiguring xorg.conf but no change.
I'm running the Karmic live cd now and I'll just use it for the time
being. May have to install it as a last resort but I hate to lose all
those apps.
BTW, this is that Wubi install (don't ever do that!!) and I can access
all my files from the live cd and they are safe on the windows partition.
So I guess I'm stuck. I can try to backup everything to a remote drive
and install Karmic the right way but I'd ideally like to get my display
going so I can clean up things first.
Any ideas?