[nmglug] Network question

BrianO'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Jan 29 11:06:28 PST 2010

My brother is trying to get his old HP box set up as his newer MicroTel
crapped out. We'll be woroking on that at some point but for now he'd
like to get the HP functional. He's running Hardy on it and all seems
fine except for networking.
His ISP is Comcast and he recently bought a wireless router so his wife
could use her laptop at home. He set up the router with the MicroTel and
all was fine until the MicroTel crapped out.
I thought that he'd just be able to plug the HP into the router and have
ethernet since the router was al configured but apparently that is not
the case. He says that there is no network choice to pick from either
NetworkManager or the Network tools. this makes no sense to me.
The HP does not have wireless support.
Any ideas of where to start with this?

thanks,
Brian