[nmglug] Network question

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Fri Jan 29 20:23:31 PST 2010

Find out what hardware he is using.  type lspci and look for "Ethernet
Controller: ..." This will tell you the type of chipset (intel, 3com,
etc). You will need a kernel that has support for that hardware, in
the form of a module. Type lsmod to display your running modules. Keep
in mind some dysfunctional hardware requires firmware to be loaded. In
this case, I recommend disabling (in the bios) or removing that
network card and installing one that does not require non free
firmware. Its not worth dealing with non-native hardware:-(