[nmglug] secure web site freezes computer - no more firefox and thunderbird access

Alvin Larson alvinlarson at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 14:37:23 PST 2010

A colleague sent some files by a secure web site. I think it must have been a MS Windows thing because they wanted me to
use IE after I reported trouble. It wasn't set up properly and upon trying to get access to the files, I managed to
somehow crash the Linux computer. Upon reboot, I no longer have access to the web through Firefox and mail though
Thunderbird. Also can't ssh to a place where I have an account. The local area network still connects OK: I can ssh to
my laptop, print on wreless printer, etc. The Amarok music player still works over the internet. The adept package
manager still works also.

I am running Kubuntu 8.04 on a Monarch computer with two AMD 64 bit processors. My internet provider is Comcast and it
is connected to the local computers through a Linksys WCG200 cable gateway. There is a bridge that connects the WCG200
to the local network.

I probably need to reload one or more of the the pieces of network software, but don't know where to start.

Any adivice will be greatly appreciated.

Alvin