[nmglug] Custom Boot Disk for School Lab

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Wed Aug 24 07:38:40 PDT 2011

On Aug 24, 2011, at 6:52 AM, Aaron Birenboim wrote:

> On 08/23/2011 07:15 PM, Jeffrey Miller wrote:
>> This seems like the classic RTFM question but...  (-:
>
> I think that the standard solution to such a problem would be
> to boot those minis over the network.

A interesting idea.  I would have thought this impossible, due to the Open Firmware not supporting PXE booting in the way a BIOS does, but it *is* quite do-able.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Diskless_Mac-Mini_Howto

But there are some downsides to this.  It involves changing NVRAM values and the timeout when a Mini can't boot from the net is 10 minutes or so.

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508
nickf at frostitute.com