[nmglug] SSD firmware

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Wed Dec 7 16:44:18 PST 2011

On Dec 7, 2011, at 5:33 PM, rob jackson wrote:

> Recently bought and installed the Kingston HyperX SSD. I've downloaded the latest firmware for it and would like to install it. It is an exe file and the instructions for install of course are for windows. Any help on this would be appreciated... as gui as possible. Not good with the terminal.

Download Tiny XP (free) and run it in VirtualBox (free) for the install.  It's unlikely the .exe will run in a non-windowed environment but if it did one could either;

- make a bootable USB stick, put the .exe file on it and (after booting from it) flash the drive.

or;

- make a bootable CD-ROM;

http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#cdromsi

or other version of Bart PE as desired.

Lastly, if you have Windows XP or 7 media you could install it on a spare drive without activation and do the firmware update.  Or, stick the drive in any Windows box, update the firmware and put it back in the *NIX box when finished.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508